Classic Doctor Who: The Crusade

Briarheart Reviews: The Crusade

This one. Oh man, this one. Er... I hate to be that one guy who doesn't like that story everybody loves but, I am. So a bit of a disclaimer before I start talking about this one. I don't like it, but most people do, so if you haven't seen it, I recommend you do so before reading this as you may actually like it. I just didn't. Anyway, let's begin.

This story has a brilliant introduction because it's one of the rare occasions in the 60s' where a serial doesn't start off in the TARDIS. In fact, I'd say the whole first episode of this story is pretty decent, the rest isn't though. Beyond the first episode, the story becomes a bit of a slog with a lot of medieval political babble. It's actually pretty boring and the villain is fucking pathetic.

Actually, let's talk about the villain for a second. How does one describe El Akir? I know, imagine Tegana from Marco Polo but he isn't cold or manipulative in any way, he's just a little dick who kills and kidnaps people for fun, or not even that, he doesn't have the balls to do it himself so he sends his henchmen in to do all the work. In actuality, El Akir is just an idiot who has his ass handed to him every time he's confronted by Ian, Barbara, or anybody whoever disagrees with him! The henchmen are more of a threat than the bloody villain himself. It's ridiculous!

As for the people on the protagonist side of the story, most of them are assholes. Richard the Lionheart is a complete and total dick. Acting like a spoiled brat everytime somebody disagrees with him and just going total apeshit on the Doctor and Vicki without letting them explain themselves when he's angry with them. His knights are total wankers too, so much so that some of them even gang up on the TARDIS team at the end. It's just a fucking mess of unenjoyable characters and boring, petty politics that lead nowhere!

I just hate the characters in this story with a burning passion and the actual dialogue that passes between is snooze-worthy. I'm okay with politics in sci-fi, I really am, but God damn this story is just takes it overboard. The only reason I'd say it's above average is that most people love it to bits and it has a great reputation, so even though I hate its guts, I'm obviously at fault. Go watch it if you haven't, you'll probably enjoy it, I just didn't.

Comments

Popular Posts